Road to Success Read-a-thon
Time spent reading matters. Road to Success and my529, Utah’s educational savings plan, are happy to honor the winners of the 2021 Road to Success Read-a-thon.
Winners of the Read-a-thon will receive a $1,000 my529 Scholarship Account. They can use the money toward college or technical school.
During the Read-a-thon, students tracked reading minutes with the Road to Success Portal. The top reader—with the most minutes read—from each participating school was entered into a drawing. One winner from each participating school district was selected.
Here are the winners:
|Violet Wilcock||Snowville||Box Elder|
|Alex Bodily||Canyon View||Canyons|
|Tyler Stewart||Leadership Learning Layton||Charter|
|Bronwyn Simmons||Sam Morgan||Davis|
|Oscar Rodriguez Aguliera||Lincoln||Granite|
|Zach Watkins||Elk Meadows||Jordan|
|Max Buckingham||Rose Springs||Tooele|
Road to Success Read-A-Thon Contest (the “Contest”) Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. NEITHER A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NOR WILL OPENING A MY529 ACCOUNT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING; HOWEVER SINCE THE PRIZE IS A CONTRIBUTION TO A MY529 SCHOLARSHIP ACCOUNT, ANY WINNER MUST HAVE A MY529 SCHOLARSHIP ACCOUNT OPENED IN THEIR NAME, WHICH CAN BE DONE AT NO COST TO THE WINNER, IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE PRIZE.
1. Eligibility: Participation is open only to individual, legal residents of the State of Utah who are currently enrolled in grades K through 6 in one of the Participating School Districts (listed below), which participate in the Road to Success Read-A-Thon program (“Entrants”). Entrants must have (i) a Social Security Number or taxpayer identification number, (ii) a residential street address in the State of Utah, (iii) intend to have qualified higher education expenses at an eligible education institution, and (iv) be eligible to have a my529 scholarship account opened in their name. The Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
The Contest is sponsored by Utah Educational Savings Plan dba my529 (the “Sponsor”). Employees, officers, directors, agents and representatives of the Sponsor, the Utah Board of Higher Education, the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority Board of Directors, Success in Education, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, advertising and promotional agencies of each (collectively “Releasees”), and each of their immediate family members (spouse, parents, children and siblings, stepparents, stepsiblings, grandparents, grandchildren and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) and individuals living in the same households of the above, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win.
The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Each Entrant, or his or her parent or legal guardian, by participating in the Contest, and/or accepting a Prize certifies they have read these Official Rules prior to entering, meets the eligibility requirements and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the Sponsor’s decisions.
Participating School Districts: Public schools in the following school districts: (1) Alpine, (2) Box Elder, (3) Canyons, (4) Carbon, (5) Davis, (6) Emery, (7) Granite, (8) Jordan, (9) Juab, (10) Nebo, (11) North Sanpete, (12) Ogden, (13) Piute, (14) Provo, (15) Salt Lake City, (16) San Juan, (17) Sevier, (18) South Sanpete, (19) Tooele, (20) Weber, and (21) All charter and private schools in the State of Utah.
2. To Enter: The Contest begins April 15, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. Mountain Time and ends on May 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time (the “Contest Period”). During the Contest Period, Entrants must record their reading minutes via their Road to Success reading portal (the “Portal”) Entrants must register with the Portal at the following website: <https://rtsutah.com/>. Participation in the Contest requires Entrants to record reading minutes within the Portal. Each Entrant is limited to one entry in the Portal during the Contest Period. An Entrant cannot register in the Portal under multiple user profiles nor can more than one Entrant use the same user profile. The minutes registered to an Entrant in the Portal must have been minutes read by such Entrant. Multiple users entering under one Entrant profile, multiple or duplicate entries of minutes or an Entrant having more than one profile are not permitted and may result in the disqualification of all related entries or Entrants. The reading minutes must be accrued during and uploaded to the Portal during the Contest Period. Incomplete entries or entries or Entrants that do not adhere to these Official Rules may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
An Entrant’s submission of an entry constitutes his or her (and his or her parents’ and legal guardians’) consent to participate in the Contest, acceptance and consent to these Official Rules, and consent for the Sponsor to obtain and use Entrant’s name, photo, school name and district and certain other information for the purpose of administering this Contest and for publication on the my529 website.
Sponsor, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, does not comply with the Official Rules, or if the Sponsor suspects fraud or abuse. Sponsor also reserves the right to modify or suspend the Contest at any time, for any reason.
3. Selection of Winners: On or about May 20, 2021, the Sponsor will consult with Success in Education to determine and confirm, from among all eligible Entrants, the Entrant in each elementary school within each Participating School District who has accumulated (and properly recorded on the Portal) the most reading minutes during the Contest Period (each such Entrant a “Potential Winner”). Potential Winners are selected in a random drawing at the direction of the Sponsor whose decisions are final in all matters relating to the Contest. Although selected as a Potential Winner, no Potential Winner is a “Winner” or eligible to receive a Prize until the Potential Winner is contacted by the Sponsor, the Potential Winner has returned the information requested by Sponsor necessary to confirm the eligibility of a Potential Winner (“Winner Documentation”), and such Potential Winner’s eligibility and conformance with these Official Rules is confirmed by the Sponsor. If a Potential Winner is not eligible to be a Winner, does not return the Winner Documentation in the time set forth herein, does not abide by the Official Rules or is otherwise not eligible to receive a Prize, all in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, the Sponsor may choose another Potential Winner from the eligible Entrants using the above criteria. It is anticipated that twenty-one Entrants, one from each Participating School District, will be selected as Winners and a maximum of twenty-one Prizes will be awarded; however if any Participating School District is not able to produce a Potential Winner who qualifies as a Winner eligible to receive a Prize, less than all Prizes may be awarded.
4. Odds: The odds of winning depend upon the total number of Entrants.
5. Prizes: Each Winner will receive one (1) $1,000 my529 scholarship account opened in the Winner’s name for the benefit of the Winner (the “Scholarship Account”). In order for the Sponsor to open a Scholarship Account in the Winner’s name, the Winner or his or her parents or legal guardians must furnish the Winner Documentation (including information regarding the Winner who is the beneficiary of the Scholarship Account) to the Sponsor in the time periods set forth in Section 6. Although a Scholarship Account will be required to be opened in the Winner’s name in order for a Potential Winner to win and receive the Prize, neither the Winner nor any other party is required to deposit any additional funds into a my529 account at the time the Scholarship Account is opened or in the future in order for the Scholarship Account to be opened or the Winner to receive the Prize.
Although opened in the Winner’s name, Scholarship Accounts are owned by the Sponsor and invested in the Age-Based Conservative investment option. The funds in the Scholarship Account (including the principal and any related earnings) must be used by the Winner only for certain qualified higher education expenses. Scholarship account funds may be used at any eligible educational institution—any college, university or technical school in the United States or abroad that is qualified to participate in federal student aid programs. The Winner may request a qualified withdrawal to pay for tuition, fees, required equipment, books and supplies, as well as computers, related equipment and Internet access. However, Winners may not use Scholarship Account funds for room and board, qualified education loan repayments, registered apprenticeship program expenses or K-12 tuition.
Withdrawals from a Scholarship Account will be sent only to the eligible educational institution designated on the withdrawal form. The Sponsor reserves the right to request documentation to verify that withdrawn funds were used for certain qualified higher education expenses. Qualified withdrawals from Scholarship Accounts must start before the Winner turns age 22 or the funds in the Scholarship account will be forfeited by the Winner to the Sponsor. All withdrawals from the Scholarship Account must be completed within four years of the initial withdrawal. Unused funds in the Scholarship Account after that time will be forfeited to the Sponsor.
Additional money from a Winner’s parents, guardians, friends, or other individuals may not be contributed to the Scholarship Account; however, other individual my529 accounts for the Winner may be opened where such contributions may be received. Each account owner or contributor should carefully read the my529 Program Description for more information and consider all investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing.
Prizes may be considered income to the Winners, and any taxes resulting from the receipt of the Prize are the responsibility of the Winners. Please consult your tax advisor regarding the tax consequences of accepting a Prize. Sponsor does not provide tax advice with regards to the Prize.
The Sponsor is only responsible for the delivery of the Prize to the Winner’s Scholarship Account upon determination that a Potential Winner is a Winner, has an eligible Scholarship Account opened and upon receipt of the Winner Documentation. Sponsor does not make any warranty regarding the suitability of Prizes or that such Prizes will not lose value. No cash or other prize substitutions will be permitted. The Prizes are nontransferable. The Actual Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Prize is $1,000, and the total ARV of all Prizes is $21,000.
6. Winner Notification: A Potential Winner need not be present at the time the Potential Winners are determined in order to win. Potential Winners (or their parents or legal guardians) will be notified by email or telephone conversation if they are selected as a Potential Winner. It is anticipated that Potential Winners (or their parents or legal guardians) will be notified by May 25, 2021. The Potential Winner (or their parents or legal guardians) will be required to complete all documentation necessary to open a Scholarship Account (including name, address, Social Security number, date of birth and other identifying information for the Entrant) (the “Plan Documentation”) so the Sponsor may open a Scholarship Account and deposit the Prize. Furthermore, the Potential Winner (or his or her parents or legal guardian on his or her behalf) may be required to sign other legal documents relating to the Contest, including but not limited to adherence to these Official Rules, liability releases and/or publicity releases (collectively with the Plan Documentation, the “Winner Documentation”).
No Entrant or Potential Winner is a “Winner” or entitled to a Prize, unless and until Sponsor has received the Winner’s Documentation completed to Sponsor’s satisfaction, Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest and Entrant’s eligibility to receive a Prize have been verified, and the Potential Winner has been notified that verification is complete.
A Prize may be awarded to an alternate Entrant if (i) the Sponsor determines the Potential Winner is not eligible to enter the Contest, win a Prize or is otherwise not compliant with the Official Rules; (ii) the Sponsor has made three attempts to contact the Potential Winner (or their parents or legal guardians) by telephone or email and has either not been successful in contacting the Potential Winner (email messages or phone messages are not deemed successful contact) or the Potential Winner (or their parents or legal guardians) has not returned Sponsor’s attempts to contact such Potential Winner within three business days of Sponsor’s first attempt to contact Potential Winner (phone messages by the Potential Winner shall not be deemed to constitute contact by the Potential Winner to the Sponsor); or (iii) Sponsor has not received the fully completed Winner Documentation from the Potential Winner within 10 business days of Sponsor’s delivery of such documentation to the Potential Winner. The Sponsor shall have no liability for Potential Winner’s (or their parents’ or legal guardians’) failure to answer or return phone messages, or receive email messages due to spam, junk email or other security settings or for Potential Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information.
No more than the stated number of Prizes will be made. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming, or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of Prizes, as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, the Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of Prizes among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible Contest claims.
7. Publicity: Except where prohibited by law, by entering the Contest, or by winning or accepting a Prize, Entrants (or their parents or legal guardians) grant to Sponsor and their respective designees the right to publicize any Entrant’s first and last name, entry, photograph, image, likeness, voice, statements, and certain biographical information in all manner and media, worldwide and in perpetuity, for advertising, trade and promotion purposes, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known or hereafter devised (including, without limitation, the Internet), without additional compensation, and without opportunity for review or consent.
8. Third Party Social Media Platforms. It is intended that the Contest will be advertised on third party social media platforms. Each Entrant (or their parents or legal guardians) by entering the Contest hereby acknowledges that the Contest is not in any way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or otherwise associated with any such third party social media platforms, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Google Plus, Twitter and LinkedIn (“Social Media Platforms”) and each Entrant (or their parents or legal guardians) agrees to release and hold all such Social Media Platforms harmless for any liability related to the Contest as set forth in Sections 9 and 10 below. Entrants (or their parents or legal guardians) agree to send any questions or complaints regarding the Contest to the Sponsor and not to any Social Media Platforms.
9. Release: Each Entrant (or their parents or legal guardians) agrees, except where prohibited by law, to release and discharge, hold harmless and indemnify Releasees, Social Media Platforms and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, from any and all tax liability that may be imposed or associated with receipt or use of the Prizes, and from and against any and all claims, actions, proceedings, and liability for any damages, expenses, fees, injury, or losses sustained in connection with the Contest or acceptance, possession, use, misuse or non-use of a Prize.
10. Limitations of Liability: Releasees and Social Media Platforms are not responsible for technical, computer, mechanical, printing, typographical, human or other errors relating to, or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, the selection and announcement of the Potential Winners or in any Contest-related materials; or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, inaccurate, undelivered, delayed or illegible entries; or for electronic, computer, or telephonic malfunction or error, failure to enter into the processing system, or are processed, reported, or transmitted late or incorrectly, or are lost for any reason, including computer, telephone, paper transfer, or human or other error.
If, in the Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of tampering with any portion of the Contest, the Sponsor, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the Contest or the entry process, or who does not comply with the Official Rules and/or void any entries submitted fraudulently, to modify or suspend the Contest, or to terminate the Contest and to award the Prizes based solely on the Sponsor’s determinations of non-suspect entries received as of the termination date.
Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Contest and to void any entries or Entrants for any reason.
As a condition of entering the Contest, Entrants (or their parents or legal guardians) agree that: (i) under no circumstances will Entrants (or their parents or legal guardians) be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrants hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (ii) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or the Prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (iii) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred and, in no event, shall entrant be entitled to receive attorneys’ fees or other legal costs. Sponsors reserve the right to modify Prize award procedures. This Contest and these Official Rules shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Utah, without regard to its principles of conflicts of law and jurisdiction, and venue shall be solely within the State of Utah.
12. List of Winners: For a list of Winners’ names (available after, on or about June 4, 2021, but in any such case after the Winners have been determined and notified) send your request, and a separate self- addressed, stamped envelope to the Sponsor at the address set forth below. Requests must be received no later than one year following the determination of the Winners. In addition, the list of Winners will be posted on the Sponsor’s website at the following address: www.my529.org/read-a-thon for one year following the determination of the Winners.
13. Sponsor: The Sponsor is Utah Educational Savings Plan dba my529, located at the Utah Board of Higher Education Building, Gateway 2, 60 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84101-1284.