Whatever your path, my529 can be there

After high school, people have multiple paths available to them, including registered apprenticeships, technical and trade schools, college or university.

Are any of these right for you? If so, my529 can help. Find out more in the resources below.

What is a registered apprenticeship?

Apprenticeship.gov defines an apprenticeship as “an industry-driven, high-quality career pathway where employers can develop and prepare their future workforce, and individuals can obtain paid work experience, classroom instruction, and a portable, nationally recognized credential.”

To qualify, the apprenticeship must be registered and certified with the Secretary of Labor under Section 1 of the National Apprenticeship Act.

Each registered apprenticeship will specify the requirements for participation.

Apprenticeship resources

Visit Utah Department of Workforce Services to learn more about apprenticeships in Utah.

Apprenti-Utah, partnered with the Utah Technology Apprenticeship Program (UTAP), can provide information about apprenticeship opportunities.

Search apprenticeship.gov, the official federal apprenticeship website, for information and resources.

Apprenticeships and my529

my529 funds can be used for registered apprenticeships, as well as the fees, books, supplies and equipment required to participate.

Technical and trade schools

Technical and trade schools are a popular avenue for postsecondary education, and my529 funds can be used as long as the school is qualified to participate in federal student aid programs.

Many options for technical and trade schools are available nationwide.

Utah has eight technical schools within the Utah System of Higher Education:






Is my school eligible?

Contact your school of interest to determine their eligibility. Find a complete list of institutions, updated quarterly, at the U.S. Department of Education federal student aid site.

Make my529 funds work for your experience

my529 is Utah’s official 529 educational savings plan.

Learn more about my529

  • Accounts are free to open, require no ongoing contribution or minimum balance.
  • Earnings grow tax-deferred from federal and Utah state income taxes and are tax-free when spent on qualified education expenses.
  • Funds can be used at eligible colleges, universities, and technical schools nationwide and abroad as long as the school is qualified to participate in federal student aid programs.
  • Utah state tax credit available for Utah taxpayers.
  • Fees are among the lowest in the nation.


Open a my529 account

Visit my529.org to get started.


Contact us at 800.418.2551 or info@my529.org