Glossary – Qualified higher education expenses
Qualified higher education expenses are expenses that can be paid using funds from your my529 account.
- Tuition, mandatory fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the beneficiary to enroll and attend an eligible educational institution.
- A computer, peripheral computer equipment, software and internet access used while enrolled in an eligible educational institution.
- Room and board, if the beneficiary is enrolled at least half time. Half-time enrollment is defined as half of a full-time academic semester or term workload. Costs cannot exceed the allowance for room and board as determined by the eligible educational institution.
- Expenses for services for a special needs beneficiary to enroll and attend an eligible educational institution.
- K-12 tuition at public, private or religious schools.
- Fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the participation in a registered apprenticeship program.
- Qualified education loan repayments for a beneficiary or beneficiary’s sibling.
Withdrawals made for nonqualified expenses may trigger taxes on earnings and penalties. Refer to the Program Description for details before using your my529 funds.